How the Secure 2.0 Act is Shaping Our Advice to Clients
The SECURE Act 2.0 was an update to the current SECURE Act, which stands for Setting Every Community Up for Retirement Enhancement. The original SECURE Act was passed in 2019 and aimed to make it easier for people to save for retirement. The proposed SECURE Act 2.0 is expected to build on the success of the first act by making further changes to retirement plans and expanding access to retirement savings.
As an individual, it is important to plan around the SECURE Act 2.0 to ensure that you are taking advantage of any new opportunities. Here are a few tips to help you plan for the SECURE Act 2.0:
1. Stay Informed: Keep up-to-date with the progress of the SECURE Act 2.0 by following news outlets or talking to your financial advisor. This will help you stay informed about any changes that may affect your retirement planning.
2. Maximize Contributions: One of the key changes proposed in the SECURE Act 2.0 is an increase in the age at which individuals must begin taking required minimum distributions (RMDs) from their retirement accounts. This means that you may have more time to contribute to your retirement accounts before you are required to start taking distributions.
3. Review Your Retirement Plan: Take a close look at your current retirement plan and make any necessary adjustments to ensure that it aligns with the proposed changes in the SECURE Act 2.0. This may include adjusting your contribution amounts or investment strategy.
4. Consider New Retirement Plan Options: The SECURE Act 2.0 is expected to introduce new retirement plan options, such as pooled employer plans (PEPs) and expanded access to multiple employer plans (MEPs). Consider these options and determine whether they may be a good fit for your retirement goals.
5. Seek Professional Guidance: Finally, seek the guidance of a financial advisor or retirement planning professional to help you navigate the potential changes brought about by the SECURE Act 2.0. A professional can help you make the most of the new opportunities presented by the act and ensure that your retirement plan is on track.
Planning around the SECURE Act 2.0 is important for anyone looking to maximize their retirement savings. By staying informed, reviewing your retirement plan, and seeking professional guidance, you can take advantage of the potential benefits of this new legislation.
Leave a Comment